1. Born in Tokyo, Murakami has the reputation of "Japan's Andy Warhol". He has exhibited his paintings, sculptures, and digital installations in the most prestigious art galleries around the world.
2. In 2008, Murakami made Time magazine's 100 Most Influential People list, he is the first and only visual artist to ever do so.
2. Along with Marc Jacobs, Murakami was the mastermind behind Louis Vuitton's Monogram Multicolore canvas range of handbags and accessories. Possibly the most counterfeited luxury handbag to date.
4. The artist behind the covers for Kanye West's singles, "Can't Tell Me Nothing" and "Stronger" and directs the artwork for the whole of his Graduation album.
5. In May 2008, Murakami's "My Lonesome Cowboy (1998)", a sculpture of a masturbating boy twirling a semen lasso, sold for $15.2 million at a Sotheby's auction. What's amazing is that Murakami is still alive and got away with this stunt 15.2 million richer!! LOL, crazy shit, see the sculpture HERE.
6. The creator of the "Superflat" style.
Click HERE for more information.
Superflat monogram animation for Louis Vuitton
Jonathan Ross's Japanarama introduction of Murakami
"Good morning" animation for Kanye West